Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyMyelomaTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyMyelomaTeam Member asked a question 💭
Arkansas City, AR

I have mgus and I ask the doctor how am I doing
His answer is "your blood work looks good"
That is all I get from him. So, I am wondering if there are. Any changes or system that I should keep in mind?

1 day ago
 · 
Reactions
A MyMyelomaTeam Member

Hazel,
My first two Oncologists were not MM Specialists and I did not know that. After doing research, I started knowing more than they did and it was scary. The MMTeam told me to go to a Hematologist/Oncologist who was a MM Specialist. The Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation has a list of MM Specialists around the country. HTTPS://www.themmrf.org
They also have Patient Navigators you can talk to. During my research, I saw that with my translocation, I would be high risk to progress, so I switched doctors and got another bone marrow biopsy. I had progressed to Smoldering MM. Hopefully you will never progress. Print out all your blood tests and compare them to the last ones. Note the changes good or bad, so you can ask your doctor questions. The Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation also has a Patient Handbook you can print or download. It will help you understand your blood labs. They also give you a list of questions to ask your doctor.
In regards to changes, if you are super thirsty or nauseous, your kidneys are being affected. Always drink pure water over any other drink.
Paula🌹

The MMRF | Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation
The MMRF | Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation
1 day ago (edited)
A MyMyelomaTeam Member

How do you dig further when your oncologist does not really explain anything and if asked, his answers are always vague, short with not much substance?

1 day ago
MyMyelomaTeam

What symptoms should someone with MGUS watch out for, and what changes should they keep in mind?

It's great that your blood work looks good! While MGUS often has no symptoms, there are definitely signs worth keeping an eye on that could indicate things are changing.

Here are the key symptoms to watch for:

- Bone pain — Show Full Answer

What symptoms should someone with MGUS watch out for, and what changes should they keep in mind?

It's great that your blood work looks good! While MGUS often has no symptoms, there are definitely signs worth keeping an eye on that could indicate things are changing.

Here are the key symptoms to watch for:

- Bone pain — especially in the back, hips, or skull
- Nerve pain, numbness, or tingling — this can affect hands and feet
- Unusual tiredness or fatigue
- Loss of appetite or unexplained weight loss
- Night sweats
- Unexplained bleeding or bruising
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Pain or swelling in your abdomen If any of these symptoms appear between your regular check-ups, don't wait — reach out to your doctor right away rather than waiting for the next scheduled visit.

Regular monitoring typically includes blood and urine tests every 6 to 12 months to track M protein levels. If you feel like you're not getting enough information from your doctor, it's completely okay to ask more specific questions, like "Have my M protein levels changed?" — you deserve clear answers!

1 day ago

Related Questions

View All
A MyMyelomaTeam Member asked a question 💭
Foothills of NC

A MyMyelomaTeam Member asked a question 💭
Acworth, GA

A MyMyelomaTeam Member asked a question 💭
New York Mills, MN

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In