Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyMyelomaTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
February 23
 · 
Reactions
A MyMyelomaTeam Member

I am a hard stick. When I was transferred to El Paso they put in an IJ with got a MRSA infection. I have had a problem with MERSA so now I hesitate to have an ij,porter similar placed. Having been In healthcare i am hypercolonized for MRSA. Hopefully you do not have this issue.

February 23
A MyMyelomaTeam Member

Lori,
Get a second opinion. The Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation advocates for se one opinions before starting any treatment. Why not for this too?
Paula🌹

February 23
MyMyelomaTeam

Should you have a port inserted if your veins are fragile?

It's completely normal to feel uncertain about getting a port. This is a personal decision that many people with myeloma face, especially when veins become difficult to access.

A port can be very helpful during treatment. It's a device placed under your skin Show Full Answer

Should you have a port inserted if your veins are fragile?

It's completely normal to feel uncertain about getting a port. This is a personal decision that many people with myeloma face, especially when veins become difficult to access.

A port can be very helpful during treatment. It's a device placed under your skin (usually in your chest or arm) that allows medications and fluids to be given and blood to be drawn without repeated needle sticks. This means you won't have to get poked as much, which is especially beneficial when veins are fragile.

A MyMyelomaTeam member who went through treatment shared that they had a Hickman catheter port placed in their chest. They described it as "very handy, so you don't have to get poked a lot." The port has multiple access points for giving medications, fluids, and drawing blood.

Important things to know:

* Port placement is a surgical procedure
* You'll need to learn how to clean and care for it properly to prevent infections
* It can make treatment much easier, especially if you'll need frequent infusions or blood draws

Talk with your oncology team about your specific situation. They can explain the benefits and risks based on your treatment plan and help you feel more confident in your decision.

February 23
A MyMyelomaTeam Member

About MRSA. I got infected with it many years ago, when I was a caregiver for a client with gangrene. All the precautions I followed fell short. I'll have to ask if MRSA can effect my health now....from 2006. Thank you for nudging my memory!
MRSA is very serious on itself, so I hope everything will be ok! 💛

March 1

Related Questions

View All
A MyMyelomaTeam Member asked a question 💭
Stamford, CT

A MyMyelomaTeam Member asked a question 💭
Stamford, CT

A MyMyelomaTeam Member asked a question 💭
Bakersfield, CA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In