Here's a closer look at the benefits of nutritional yeast
Nutritional powerhouse
Complete Protein Source: Nutritional yeast contains all nine essential amino acids, making it a valuable source of complete protein for vegans and vegetarians. A 2-tablespoon serving can provide 5-8 grams of protein
Rich in B Vitamins: Nutritional yeast is an excellent source of various B vitamins, particularly when fortified. It can provide significant amounts of Thiamin (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Niacin (B3),… read more
@A MyMyelomaTeam Member
Added to my very well balanced diet, I’ve been taking a heaping tablespoon of Trader Joe’s Nutritional Yeast every day for well over two years. I add it to a half glass of organic orange juice and a 5gram portion of creatine monohydrate (requires plenty of water through the day).
Note that Nutritional Yeast’s B12 is the Cyano-type which is far less preferable. So for my B12, I also take a 5000mcg Methyl-type of chewable B12 (Costco Kirkland brand). In addition I take a Jarrow B12 + Folate (for the folate).
Most food’s folates are the synthetic folic acid which many can not process into folate. Folate is essential so I make sure to get the form I can use.
For people who have a defective gene that can’t process folic acid, folic acid is harmful due to it building up in the body. I had my gene tested. I’m defective in the second gene that doesn’t matter and good in the first that is directly linked to converting folic acid. Folic acid is in everything - read product labels, you’ll see it everywhere.
Paula talks about adding nutritional yeast to blackstrap molasses for its minerals. My research suggests it could have harmful properties due to its 3x high heat cooking process and other chemicals from the growing process, so I don’t use it.
The other critical vitamin I take daily in Vit D3 - for well over two years, I take 10,000 to 15,000 IU of D3 (Whole Foods 365 brand-5000IU soft gels). I adjust based on my monthly Labs. I keep my Vit D at 85ng to 100ng range. This summer I’ve had plenty of sun (out golfing).
For less sun, take the 15,000IU daily. Most people and especially those with MM have very low Vit D levels. Years ago my Vit D was very low and I didn’t do anything about it - I really should have. My Onc is very pleased to see that I maintain a 90ng range Vit D. He says it’s really great for bone health, which is one of MM’s major complications.
Taking these and others, I continue to have perfect monthly Labs (best ever) and remain in Complete Remission and on No MM Meds. We can directly affect our outcome.
Angie and Larry, you two are a true blessing. This information is so important and vital for health. Larry, you are right about folic acid (it has no value, whatsoever), you need folate. Thank you, thank you, and thank you! I take most of these nutrients daily, and I rotate some of them (I love time in the sun, too). I'm allergic to yeast, so I don't use nutritional yeast even though they have separate functions they're made from the same fungus. So, I use Spiralina and Chlorella instead. ☺️❤️☺️
While nutritional yeast can be part of a healthy diet, for people with myeloma, the focus should be on a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, proteins, nuts, and seeds. The most important aspects of nutrition for myeloma patients are maintaining a healthy body weight, building strength, fighting infection, and managing Show Full Answer
Thank you Daphne I’ll try Spiralina and Chlorella too not sure if I’m allergic to nutritional yeast or not.
Angie and Larry, thank you for posting this vital and important information. This is going to help so many people. I hope most are able really understand the role nutrients play in our health and healing. ☺️❤️☺️