Have not begun treatments as the oncologist said it has not progressed enough to fit criteria for treatment yet but closely Monitoring because he said I am at " Tipping Point" I have 15% Myeloma cells in my bone marrow , has to be over 20% to treat plus no bone lesions or tumors yet. I want to do something besides wait for it to progress. Is there anything I can do now to stop or slow progression? I am even looking into Holistic care. Anyone with same type as me ? Can you provide guidance or… read more
Sorry for your escalation . Praying you get best care possible
My bone marrow was ,80 percent I was in the last stage when I was dia
Hi KimColbyCullen, I couldn't seem to answer your other note to me, so I'm responding here. We're both IgA, but you're Kappa & I'm Lambda, though I don't know what if any differences in risk that is.
I'm not sure if any changes I made caused me to maintain my MGUS IgA Lambda status, but it can't have hurt. I've tried steadily to lose more weight, as I've been over the obesity line for years, but I'm not doing anything extreme. Slowly some more weight has been lost, so I'll focus on maintaining that loss and slowly losing some more. I also have basically eliminated drinking alcohol, except for wedding toasts, and a bit of wine last Thanksgiving. I try to focus on foods that aren't inflammatory, but not to the extent that some others accomplish. I think that goal is a good one and can help a lot. My other focus is on walking as close to daily as possible. Weather can interfere with that, but I've done fairly well with that goal also. I plan to try to incorporate some swimming at a local club this winter also.
In your other note you said you have family all over CT. I do also, and family in other areas that started out in CT. With your name noted, I suspect some Irish background also, which DNA tests tell me I'm about 95% - 99% (depending on the DNA company). I started out in CT in West Haven. My Myeloma Doctor who follows my MGUS is at the Yale Myeloma Clinic.
As to what to do with any questions you have, given the recent escalation, a 2nd opinion is definitely an option. Both in terms of knowing whether there are other options available, or also to be more comfortable with the decision not to progress further with a treatment plan at this point. I haven't read enough to say what's right, but you have every right to get a 2nd opinion. Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston, last time I looked at their website, discussed doing a 2nd opinion 'by paper' by submitting all the paperwork to them. That was a few years ago that I looked at their website, so you'd have to check out what they're doing these days.
Take care, and I hope the whole process stays stable for you. Ann933
Welcome Kim💕
Smoldering Multiple Myeloma (SMM) can involve different types of abnormal antibodies, including IgA. People with SMM, especially those with certain risk factors like specific genetic changes (such as chromosome p53), have a higher chance of progressing to active multiple myeloma.
For more personalized experiences and Show Full Answer