A sudden itchy scalp can definitely be connected to myeloma, though it's not always a direct cause. In a small number of people with myeloma, the cancer itself can trigger skin inflammation due to abnormal plasma cell activity. More commonly though, itching is linked to treatments or complications.
Here are some possible Show Full Answer
A sudden itchy scalp can definitely be connected to myeloma, though it's not always a direct cause. In a small number of people with myeloma, the cancer itself can trigger skin inflammation due to abnormal plasma cell activity. More commonly though, itching is linked to treatments or complications.
Here are some possible reasons for the itch:
- Myeloma medications like lenalidomide, bortezomib, or corticosteroids can cause itchy skin as a side effect
- Chemotherapy can cause dryness and itchiness
- A weakened immune system from myeloma can make you more prone to skin reactions
- Kidney complications related to myeloma can sometimes cause itching that worsens at night Since there's no redness, it may simply be dryness. Keeping the scalp moisturized and avoiding fragranced products can help. Over-the-counter antihistamines like Benadryl or Claritin may also offer some relief — but always check with your care team first.
It's worth mentioning this to your doctor, especially if it's persistent or worsening. They can help pinpoint the cause and suggest the right treatment.
September 20
Once I started therapy with revlimid, it caused my scalp to itch like crazy! It would wake me up in the middle of the night it was so bad. Talk to your oncologist about it. If it is the revlimid, they can lower the dose or switch you off it to something else.
5 days ago
Are you on Revlimid... my first couple doses caused rash/itching- thankfully went away quickly.
5 days ago
Jeafra, I sure hope your scan turns out unremarkable!! Pomalyst might make your head itch too. I just shampoo my hair every night with a mild shampoo so I can sleep. I haven't had a pet scan for 8 years. I asked to get one in November. Good luck with yours! 🥰
6 days ago