William,
I used to have severe foot and leg cramps. I started taking supplements and now I don’t get them. I also avoid salty foods, caffeine, carbonation, and sugar. The supplements I take are, Calcium & Magnesium (1200-1400 mg MRM Bone Maximizer III) with extra D3 to absorb it and K2 so the calcium goes to the Bones. Vitamins C, A and E complex help in the process too. I buy them at Sprouts but you can find them on-line. I don’t miss the cramps. I still have neuropathy. I take Nutritional Yeast to keep it under control. I like the Bob’s Red Mill brand because it is not bitter and mixes well with juice or milk.
Paula🌹
May 29
Leg cramps related to neuropathy are very common with myeloma — so you're definitely not alone! Many MyMyelomaTeam members deal with this and have shared what helps them.
Here are some relief techniques worth discussing with your care team:
- Stay hydrated — dehydration can trigger cramps, but check with your doctor about Show Full Answer
Leg cramps related to neuropathy are very common with myeloma — so you're definitely not alone! Many MyMyelomaTeam members deal with this and have shared what helps them.
Here are some relief techniques worth discussing with your care team:
- Stay hydrated — dehydration can trigger cramps, but check with your doctor about safe water intake levels since myeloma can affect kidney function
- Magnesium and electrolytes — some members found these helpful, but always check with your doctor before adding supplements
- Heating pad — applying heat to the cramping area can bring relief
- Walk it out — getting up and moving when a cramp hits can help ease it
- B vitamins — some members swear by B complex or B-12 for neuropathy symptoms
- Pickle juice or mustard — sounds odd, but research suggests these can trigger a reflex that relieves cramps!
- Acupuncture or massage — complementary therapies have helped several MyMyelomaTeam members manage neuropathy
- Supportive footwear — orthopedic shoes designed for neuropathy have made a big difference for some members It's also worth asking your doctor about prescription options. Medications like antidepressants, anticonvulsants, or muscle relaxants have helped some people manage neuropathy-related cramps.
One important caution — avoid NSAIDs like ibuprofen or naproxen without clear medical guidance, as these can increase the risk of kidney damage with myeloma.
Always run new supplements or remedies by your oncology team first, as some can interact with myeloma treatments.
May 29