Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people whoโ€™ve been there
  •   People who understand what youโ€™re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyMyelomaTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyMyelomaTeam Member asked a question ๐Ÿ’ญ

can people start their childhood immunization before 1 year or should be 1 year post transplant exactly

January 21, 2024
 · 
Reactions
A MyMyelomaTeam Member

Your center should have a flow sheet with the recommendations. ๐Ÿ’•

January 21, 2024
A MyMyelomaTeam Member

I saw my hematologist/oncologist on Tuesday and he said NO LIVE VACCINES IF YOU ARE ON ANY KIND OF CHEMO OR IMMUNOMODULATORY MEDS. I didnโ€™t know this - saw the MMR on the list for the 2 year mark and he said not as long as I am on treatment. (I am on Revlimid for maintenance and am 18 months post SCT) If I had opted out of maintenance then having the live vaccines are recommended at 2 years post SCT. I asked about Shingrix (not a live vaccine) and he said no - just keep taking Valacyclovir to ward off shingles.

January 22, 2024
A MyMyelomaTeam Member

I was told not to get any live vaccines for two years also. I have had my flu, COVID amd RSV vaccines recently with no problems. I will have my Prevnar 23 soon.

January 22, 2024
A MyMyelomaTeam Member

I started at 7 months as per the stem cell bone marrow transplant clinic here in BC Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

January 21, 2024
A MyMyelomaTeam Member

Concur, you should be provided a schedule to follow. I received mine at my 100 post SCT visit. My transplant was done on July 13, 2022, and the injections I have received are as follows:

Prevnar 13 first dose 10/17/2022
High dose influenza first dose 10/26/2022
Covid #1 10/31/2022
Covid #2 11/26/2022
DTaP / Boostrix first dose 01/10/2023
Twinrix - Hepatitis A Inactivated & Hepatitis B (Recombinant) #1 01/11/2023
Prevnar 20 in lieu of Prevnar 13 second dose 01/13/2023
Covid Booster - newest version 02/02/2023
Meningococcal ACWY (Menvoe or Menactra) first dose 02/15/2023
Polio inactivated first dose 02/15/2023
DTaP / Boostrix second dose 03/13/2023
Twinrix - Hepatitis A Inactivated & Hepatitis B (Recombinant) #2 03/13/2023
Shingles 03/17/2023
Polio inactivated second dose 04/19/2023
Meningococcal ACWY (Menvoe or Menactra) second dose 04/19/2023
Twinrix - Hepatitis A Inactivated & Hepatitis B (Recombinant) #3 05/12/2023
DTaP / Boostrix third dose 05/15/2023
Shingles 05/20/2023

The second shingles shot was the only one I had any issues with, but I had been warned by others who had received it as well as my pharmacist that it could be rough. It was not too bad; my arm hurt, ran a very low grade fever, and felt very fatigued for a few days.

January 21, 2024

Related Questions

View All
A MyMyelomaTeam Member asked a question ๐Ÿ’ญ
Jersey Shore, PA

A MyMyelomaTeam Member asked a question ๐Ÿ’ญ
Finger Lakes NY