Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyMyelomaTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyMyelomaTeam Member asked a question 💭
Chicago, IL

I am seeing that quite a few people on here are recommending a myeloma specialist. The doctor my PCP recommended I see is a hematologist/oncologist with her profile indicating treating Multiple Myeloma and othe r blood dyscrqasias and blood cancers. She is form the Kellogg Cancer Center in Evanston. My question is should i be looking for a person who only specializes in Myeloma.? my moms oncologist/hematologist treated a variety of other cancers.

February 28, 2021
 · 
Reactions
A MyMyelomaTeam Member

I go to a MM specialist at NW Medicine in Chicago

March 7, 2021
A MyMyelomaTeam Member

Meme, If your hematologist/oncologist treats large number of Myeloma patients and is up on the latest research, that is probably fine. Many people have a second opinion with a Myeloma Specialist and have them on your team so they can direct your care. Myeloma is a complicated disease with different types and subgroups, many treatment plans and New Research and Clinical Trials coming out all of the time. You want a doctor on your team that is close to the new changes. Have a great day! Love, Marcia 🌸

February 28, 2021
A MyMyelomaTeam Member

I am seeing a myeloma specialist (two actually) through Illinois Cancer Specialists. One in Elgin and one in Niles.

June 29, 2021
A MyMyelomaTeam Member

I have both. My oncologist referred me to a Specialist, because I needed a transplant. Studies show we live longer with a Specialist. I get my treatments with my regular oncologist. I see the Specialist every 6 months now😊

February 28, 2021 (edited)
A MyMyelomaTeam Member

You correct.

February 28, 2021

Related Questions

View All
A MyMyelomaTeam Member asked a question 💭
Sheboygan, WI

A MyMyelomaTeam Member asked a question 💭
want to share a little update about my journey. Recently I went for a CT scan of my lungs, and today the doctor explained the results to me. They found some changes in my left lung compared to before. There are areas where the lung lining looks thicker, and a small mass in the lower part of the left lung has grown a bit since my last scan. Because of these changes, the doctors want to do another test called a bronchoscopy, where they use a small camera to look inside the airways and take samples to understand it better. Hearing all this was not easy for me. It made me emotional because it feels like one thing after another. But at the same time, I am thankful that I am already under medical care and the doctors are taking steps to find out exactly what

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In