Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyMyelomaTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

How long does it take for the immune system to rebound?

January 14, 2019
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members who had undergone stem cell transplants for multiple myeloma offered detailed guidance to someone preparing for the procedure next... Read more

Members who had undergone stem cell transplants for multiple myeloma offered detailed guidance to someone preparing for the procedure next month, with the overwhelming consensus being that while the high-dose chemotherapy before transplant is difficult, the actual transplant itself is straightforward and the results are worth the temporary discomfort. The most repeated practical advice included constantly chewing ice chips during and after the melphalan chemotherapy infusion to prevent painful mouth and throat sores, walking daily throughout hospitalization and recovery to maintain strength and speed healing, and having a strong support system nearby since most people need 2-4 weeks in the hospital followed by weeks of extreme fatigue and dietary challenges at home. Members reported widely varying recovery timelines ranging from feeling normal within a month to taking over a year to fully rebound, with immune system recovery typically reaching baseline around 90-100 days, after which childhood vaccinations must be repeated and mask-wearing in public remains important due to lingering immunocompromise.

A MyMyelomaTeam Member

I had my SCT March 31, 2021 at M D Anderson in Houston. I expected and mentally prepared for a horrible experience. They provided a solution for every possible side effect. It was not a bad experience at all. I was only in the hospital for 15 days and stayed near the hospital for an additional two weeks. Wishing you all the best!

October 13, 2021
A MyMyelomaTeam Member

There are 2 choices - INpatient and OUTpatient. I chose INpatient at Mayo in Arizona. Great choice; as 20 days with no infection worries and round the clock care. Pretty tough but doable. Watch movies and have popcorn in the evenings with your squeeze. Chew as much ice as you can stand for the Melephan part. You will lose your hair, but I didn't lose any weight. I took an extra 40 days before I returned to work and being at a desk that has worked out nicely. My best guess is you can't get revaccinated for at least a year so that tells you something. Flying on a plane or being in crowded areas wear a mask for at least 6 months. Good luck!

May 4, 2019
A MyMyelomaTeam Member

Awesome, James and good luck to you.. The whole process is pretty easy, just do what they tell you and EAT THAT ICE1 you'll see what I mean when the time comes..everyone is different...I had very little discomfort was home in 2 1/2 weeks but unable to go anywhere for a month. I didn't have an appetite for awhile, the best advice I can give is.. just do what they tell you. You will do great

February 10, 2019
A MyMyelomaTeam Member

I had SCT 3 years ago on March 11. I was released from the hospital after 13 days. Normal rebound is about 100 days. I got the all clear after 90 days.

February 27, 2019
A MyMyelomaTeam Member

Agree with Jackie.
Read every thing they give you . Eat ice and popsicles ( I took it and rolled/rubbed it all inside my mouth )
I never got the first sore. They couldn't believe it .

February 14, 2019

Related Questions

View All
A MyMyelomaTeam Member asked a question 💭
Kingston, NY

A MyMyelomaTeam Member asked a question 💭
Framingham, MA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In